September 2024: This is how Retirement works for us, all over Morning Coffee!


That's Half Dome out there...it was windy too!

Janet and I do a lot of our travel planning first thing in the morning while having our coffees.  Late in 2022, Janet was trolling around the United Airlines site and blurted out, "hey, flights to London have really come down...you want to go to London in March?"

London is neck and neck in my rating with Paris and Munich, so I said, "Sure!" and over the next cup, we had the flight, an AirBnB right by Covent Garden and Chinatown and close to five different Tube stations...all booked that morning!

Next winter (2023), again, over morning coffee, Janet asks, "do you want to go to DC this coming January?"  I love all the Smithsonians and spending all day in a museum in the dead of winter was a no-brainer..."Absolutely!"

This summer (2024), Janet signed up for a "Knitting Retreat" in Cambria, and when she asked if I wanted to go, I said yes.  I don't knit, but the riding between Cambria and Paso Robles is world-class, so I was thinking of throwing my bike in the truck and spending the day riding the gravel roads of California l'Eroica.  I had some setbacks in April and August, so it was no riding for me, but I hopped on the Hearst Castle website and reserved the "Designing the Dream" tour for Saturday and the Julia Morgan tour for Sunday.

Then, again over coffee, Janet read a story about the leaves changing in the High Sierra at June Lake, so I said, "what the heck, from Cambria, let's swing around the southern end of the Sierras (over Tehachapi Pass), roll up US395 and stay up in Mammoth Mountain."  Janet whips out her trusty laptop and in a few we had a two night stay at a Mammoth Mountain resort and turned an out and back to Cambria to a thousand-mile road trip taking in a good chunk of California.

As long as we are in the "Go-Go Years," this is how we make things up as we go along, over Morning Coffee 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

October 2023: We went somewhere we would NEVER go on our own, and we LOVED IT!

Road Tripping to the Utah Big 5 National Parks: Notes from an Email to Bob F

Pictures, Pictures Everywhere and no where to display them, but here